RSS feeds

Posted by dmcnulty | Posted in | Posted on 6:35 PM

There is one way that I think I am more technologically advanced than my husband: RSS feeds. I've always heard about RSS feeds but really understood them this semester in COM 435. Here's a quick and good definition of Really Simple Syndication feeds.

I am in love with Google Reader. I have subscribed to several RSS feeds and get them updated through Google Reader. I check them every day. My RSS feeds are BBC News Africa, BBC News Front Page World Edition, New York Times Africa, Paste Magazine, and TEDTalks. Instead of clicking each of these websites individually and sifting through what stories I want to read under each beat category, RSS feeds put all headlines and stories on one easy to read page. I don't have to read every story, but I like being able to scroll through it all. Here's a screenshot:

Zach is the complete opposite of me. He hates RSS feeds. He also has a set of websites he likes to read every day, but he enjoys seeing the design of the sight. That must be his computer graphics background. He doesn't mind the extra time with not using RSS feeds. Since he builds websites, he sees the value in accessing every website so he can see what works and doesn't work in these sites.

So I guess it's just a matter of perspective and of importance. I find time and information the most important; Zach appreciates design and accessibility of websites.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment