Computers for the elderly

Posted by dmcnulty | Posted in | Posted on 10:40 PM

Here's something I was reading about last week that I found interesting. A company in England has created a super simple computer marketed to older adults. Instead of having confusing sign in boxes and drop down menus, the computer shows one screen with a few buttons on the main screen. These buttons allow users to easily access e-mail, chat, the Internet, word processor, and a "My Documents" of sorts.

I think about the learning curve of technology. My husband and I are the first generation to grow up using computers in the classroom. What a difference that makes with our ability to quickly understand new technology. Yet, it makes me wonder what will happen to us when we become old. This new generation have been using computers since they were out of the womb. Example of a baby computer:



Technology keeps advancing faster and faster; will we be left behind? I never want to think about become old and "behind in the times." But, is it possible?

I think the only way my generation will become dated in our technology information is if we become apathetic. Even if the computer software we know seems fine, we should make ourselves learn the future versions of it. We need to stay current on emerging products. We need to be the ones learning from younger people's ideas about implementing new technology into business structures. If we stay open minded and informed like most of us are now, hopefully we will never need watered down technology when we are old. Now, I am not saying anything negative about the simple laptop; I think it is a great idea because most old people right now did not have the same opportunities as we do now. What I am saying is we need to take advantage of the technology education we have already received and not stay stagnant after college.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment