Final thoughts on COM 435

Posted by dmcnulty | Posted in | Posted on 8:51 PM

Alas, this is my last post. My last semester is nearing, and this is my final assignment of my undergraduate career.

This past week we did poster presentations. I presented on Monday, and my topic was about MIT's first robotic opera. Death and the Powers will premiere across the U.S. and Monaco during the 2010 - 2011 theater year. The plot line revolves around an inventor named Simon Powers who decides he wants to live forever. He "downloads" himself into a machine called The System so the essence of who he is can live on past his own human life. It is a topic that even came up during our own class; where is the line between human and machine?

My poster highlighted six main sections. One section covered the synopsis of the play, four sections discussed specific emerging technologies implemented in this opera, and the final section talked about the importance of this play for the performing arts community. I also attached two iPods on my poster that displayed the opera's trailer. Overall, I was really pleased with the outcome of my poster and presentation of it. Below is a description of one of the technologies I talked about during my project.



On Friday, I went to the other half of my class' poster presentation. I looked through their displays, asked questions, and then tweeted about them on my Twitter account. I enjoyed learning about my classmates' posters quite a bit. What I find most interesting is how each student is drawn to a certain type of emerging technology, and that is typically what they did for their poster.

Finally, COM 435 was definitely an experience. I have learned about technology through my jobs, husband, and friends, but I have never been a part of a class that's sole purpose was to encourage information sharing about emerging technologies. I already knew about several topics we discussed in class, but there was so much more that I had never even heard about before this semester. I hope I can use some elements in my future public relations career.

Farewell, Professor K and Prashant!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment